Lego was always my favorite and primary toy. I just love those excellent building bricks. Who doesn’t? And if you watch videos on YouTube you can see that many grown-ups dedicate their lives or make a career building Legos.
Lego won two millennial toy awards – that is how good Lego really. And it is a very beneficial toy for children. It is a stem toy ( science, technology, engineering and mathematics), which is now a day crucial for our children to play with,
I wrote articles about why are Legos good for children, and about STEM toys. You can read below, just click them:
Let’s go back to Lego – they have been with me since I was 5 years old, and now, having two wonderful children, Legos became part of our lives. We play together with children, building houses, vehicles, castles, animals, just name it.
Last couple of months Lego became a real interest in my life. I’ve started to explore how deep Lego company is and everything around Lego. They are fascinating! There are so many things that they are developing – Lego Technic is probably the best kit for children above 12, 13 and grown-ups.
I was watching this video about Liebherr LR 11000 , an original Technic set that can be upgraded, and one person or couple, I don’t really know the number, they upgraded it to 7 m in height! Beside that, you can use it like a real machine! They lifted a chair, and move it around the hall, and guess what – it did a perfect job, it did not fell apart, actually it dominated it!
It is RC controlled machine, so I’ve started to focus on Lego robotic kits for kids. There are many of them. And why not show you and describe about them? so I took what I think are the best 5 robotic kits Lego made, they are not all standard humanoid robot, but everything that includes some robotics, and write about them, present you their features, cons and pros and price.
Star Wars fans love Lego’s BB-8 droid. It isn’t technically a robot, but in movies is a robot and it has some mechanism inside it’s body. The robot itself is more stationary – head doesn’t move through all body like in movie or some other bb-8 toys, but it has a great design and mechanism inside.
So what does this mechanism do . So on the on side of the body you rotate this circle and head rotates with your movement. Other is very good – on the other side of the body, you can rotate a circle as well, but instead of movement of the head, one the left side of the body an arm of BB-8 comes out – really well-made.
- 1106 pieces
- Price 79$
- Cube inside with technic pieces
- Great mechanism
- Black stand with label
- Great price for what you get
- Great building
- Mechanism inside moves a head and robot arm comes out of the body
- Great design
- Small 2 piece bb-8 included
- Can’t move
- Not that big at all
Lego made, in my opinion outstanding RC racer/track. You can build two vehicles – a racer or an off-road truck. It drives on two black tracks. Each track has it’s own motor, and on transmitter there are two joysticks, each operates with it’s motor. What does that mean if you want to drive forward you have to push both up, if you want to go backwards, you have to push both down, if you want to go left you push just the right stick and if you want to go right you just push left stick. It seems unusual when you start but when you get use to it’s awesome and great to handle.
- 370 technic pieces
- 115 $
- 2 in 1 – you can build a racer or an off-road truck
- 2 Lego power motors ( for each track)
- Battery box
- Remote control
- Great price
- 2 in 1 outstanding vehicles
- Smoothly ride
- Non complicated to build
- Performs outstanding on rough terrain
- Batteries not included
- Very slow drive
- Unfortunately it is an IR remote control and not radio control, so just far meters away signal is lost and it stops
Remember the movie? Really great movie and Wall-e performed excellent in the movie. Lego’s model of WALl-E is outstanding! it is like a movie WALL-E came to life in our world. Yes design really good with details.
Now It’s doesn’t have any engines or power bricks and with that it’s not app enabled or has a remote controller. But it’s a robot and has some great features – his head moves like in movies, his arms and wrists move like in a movies and you can drive it on his tracks.
An awesome set, I will definitely go after it in near future, because it’s like a copy of real WALL-E.
- 677 pieces
- Price: $150
- Booklet about the designer and the animated Pixar movie
- 7″ (18cm) high, 6″ (16cm) long and 6″ (16cm) wide
- Great design – like a real WALL-E
- Head, arms and wrist movement
- Best gift for Lego and WALL-E fans
- Beautiful school bus yellow color
- Detailed robot
- Bit pricey
- Bad track movements
- Too bad it’ not powered to control it
Now this robot ( or 5 different robots – you can build up to 5 different moving things) is my personal favorite. Why is that? let me tell you – price is a lot cheaper than Mindstorms EV3 ( next robot kit after this one ), and what you get with this kit.
So you can build 5 different robots, the first one is shown on the box and it is the best one in my opinion. OK so you have to build a robot, then you download an app, yes that robot is run by an app, and you control your robot via app. App is so easy to handle, you ( well your child ) don’t even have to know how to read to use an app. You basically drag actions together and robot will do that. Supposedly it is for children of age 7 – 12, but even a 5-year old can operate through app this robot.
Lego boost is really mind blowing toy, children can play with it for hours, a lot of actions can be made with app so your robot does missions. It is not that hard to assemble it like mindstorms. Overall it is a great robot, in my opinion the best robot kit of them all.
- 5 in 1 set – you can build 5 different robots – Vernie the robot, Frankie the cat, Guitar 400, M.I.R. 4, Auto builder
- 857 pieces
- Movehub – I’ll call it a brain brick because it is one that have control over everything in the robot
- APP enabled
- Coding and programming a robot by yourself
- Bluetooth chip – so it can be controlled with an app
- Compatible with IOS, Android, Kindle and Windows 10 devices
- Price: $160Pros:
- Excellent STEM toy
- Great price compared to other robots with similar features
- Not so hard to build it
- Easy controlled via APP
- For kids and adults
- Great design
- Robot can do numerous things
- Sounds are coming only from devices ( tablet, smartphone, PC ) and not from a robot itself
- Separating a MoveHub from a robot ( to recharge batteries) is really hard if you want to keep your robot in one piece
- Being to rough to it can fall apart
Lego Mindstorms is Lego’s best real robot there is. It is not my favorite – it’s quite pricey, and age limit is 10 and more, but based on experience is more 12 and more, it’s even tough for a grown up. Of course, you build it, but it takes quite some time.
So mindstorms EV3 is the third generation of Lego’s robots. Overall it is the best robot. You can build up to 17 different robots with different characteristics. It has it’s own software program EV3 which you download, but really nice, and you basically program your robot by yourself. It is a lot harder than with Lego boost creative toolbox, where you have an app and it is simple to run your robot, well this one can take some time. But it isn’t that hard, once you understand how it all works. It is quite big, and it can take you literally hours and hours of building, coding programming etc. if you don’t want to use it with device, you can control it with remote control.
If you want to know more details about Mindstorms EV3 I wrote a review about Mindstorms and you can read it, just simply click the link below:
- Brain brick – brains of each robot in a brick
- Color sensor
- Touch sensor
- IR sensor
- Remote control
- You can build 5 feature robots and additional 12
- Great instructions
- 601 pieces
- EV3 software – programe your robot to do missions
- Great STEM toy
- Great instructions
- Great software for programming your robot
- Build up to 17 robots
- APP enabled
- Control it with your smart device or with remote control
- Endless fun for children and adults
- Very expensive
- Almost all pieces are technic pieces
- Doesn’t come with storage trays
- EV3 software can freeze and there are bugs in the program
- IR remote control is really bad – nobody uses IR anymore, there are buttons instead of sticks
I’m really happy to see Lego creating these robotics kits and I really hope they won’t stop because Lego building bricks are the best toys of them all, and Lego robots are great extra value for children.
If you have any question or comment please write me in the comment section below and I would be happy to reply you.