I was browsing on some E commerce platform for some Legos to buy to my children, and Was focusing to buy a dragon. I bought this huge blue- yellow dragon form Ninjago series at the end.
But while searching I have noticed How to train your dragon themed building bricks and I asked myself if Lego actually has a theme dedicated to movie How to train your dragon.
I dug deeper and found that Lego how to train you dragon sets do not exist, but there is a brand, Ionix, that makes bricks compatible with Lego and they have How to train your dragon themed bricks.
I thought OK it is just one more “clone” Lego brand, but as dug into Ionix I really can not say that they are copying or cloning Lego bricks.
OK their bricks are basically the same as Legos, but they have put a focus on something other, new, innovative as I can say – they have invented this so called shapeshifting brick. That means that every set a base brick that can transform. Read further and I will describe exactly how does it work.
Ionix’s Shapeshifting Brick
So like I mentioned before Ionix’s focus, and what differs them from other Lego compatible brands is their “innovative” transforming brick.
Each Ionix set includes one shapeshifting brick. Their sets mainly include a figure and big animal – like a Dragon or Pokemon. Why am I pointing this out is because this so called transforming brick is basically a body of either a dragon, Pokemon or a mini figure. Now let me describe with an example how does Shapeshifting brick work. In this example I will describe how brick transforms into a mini figure. Shapeshifting or a transformer brick always stays in one piece ( unless you break it ).
Shapeshifting brick or transforming brick of a mini figure is a two by four brick ( like classic standard Lego brick).
First thing that is need to be done is to pull legs out of standard position ( a leg is a two by one brick).
After pulling legs out, then arms need to be pulled out ( like with legs arms are also a two by one bricks)
Then what is left is to pull head out and attach pieces that this mini figure has to be set by default.
So classic two by four brick is after transforming a mini figure. Sounds quite innovative right?
If you get yourself a dragon, transforming brick is of course a lot bigger, like four by eight brick – not a Lego standard but compatible as well.
In case of not understanding how transforming works I have posted some pictures below to answer any questions you might ask.
Lego has quite a lot of different themed sets, like city, or a technic, Duplo, elves, star wars and more, well Ionix on the other hand has only three themes, and those are:
- POKEMON – gotta catch’em all – 7 sets
- How to train your dragon 2 – 21 sets
- Tenkai knights – 28 sets
How To Train Your Dragon 2
ionix did a good job making how to train your dragon sets. They offer you small dragons to really big dragons. Here are all How to train your dragon sets that are available :
- Toothless night fury – 1 shapeshifting mini figure brick and 16 additional pieces
- Meatlug Gronckle – 1 shapeshifting mini figure brick and 4 additional pieces
- Stormily nadder – 1 shapeshifting mini figure brick and 13 additional pieces
- Cloudjumper stormcutter – 1 shapeshifting mini figure brick and 13 additional pieces
- Barf and Belch Zippleback – 1 shapeshifting mini figure brick and 10 additional pieces
- Hookfang monstrous nightmare – 1 shapeshifting mini figure brick and 13 additional pieces
- Toothless viking attack – 2 shapeshifting bricks and 123 additional pieces
- Giant Toothless battle set – 2 shapeshifting mini figure bricks, 1 shapeshifting titan brick and 239 additional pieces
- Skrill – 1 shapeshifting mini figure brick and 19 additional bricks
- Wild Gronckle – 1 shapeshifting mini figure brick and 4 additional pieces
- Arctic cloud jumper – 1 shapeshifting mini figure brick and 13 additional pieces
- Racing Toothless – 1 shapeshifting mini figure brick and 16 additional pieces
- Wild Nadder – 1 shapeshifting mini figure brick and 13 additional pieces
- Whispering Death – 1 shapeshifting mini figure brick and 9 additional pieces
- Arctic Skrill – 1 shapeshifting mini figure brick and 19 additional pieces
- Glowing Toothless – 1 shapeshifting mini figure brick and 16 additional pieces
- Racing Gronckle – 1 shapeshifting mini figure brick and 4 additional pieces
- Racing Zippleback – 1shapeshifting mini figure brick and 10 additional pieces
- Racing Stormily – 1 shapeshifting mini figure brick and 9 additional pieces
- Nadder large dragons set – 2 shapeshifting mini figure bricks, 1 shapeshifting titan brick and 118 additional pieces
- Sheep race play set – 1 shapeshifting mini figure brick and 82 additional pieces
Review of Ionix How To Train Your Dragon
Best place to buy: AMAZON
My rating: 6 out of 10
To be honest, I think these sets are nothing special, I would rather aim for Lego dragon sets, but that is my opinion. If you look for How to train your dragon sets that are Lego compatible, then it is a good alternative, why not. I admit shapeshifting brick is something new, but if I would like a toy not to be destructed, I would then rather get myself ordinary transforming toy like a robot or something.
Appearance of dragons is OK, but nothing special, and shapeshifting brick is rather clumsy and sometimes a bit overwhelming to understand how to roll and move parts of shapeshifting bricks. Just an example – titan shapeshifting brick ( basically giant transforming brick ) has about 26 different moves according to instructions to transform it into default body for a dragon.
- Price is OK
- Shapeshifting brick is unique
- How to train your dragon theme is something that Lego doesn’t have
- Ionix’s bricks are compatible with Lego bricks
- Special looking mini figures
- Dragon will not break if you accidentally drop it – transforming brick is always in on piece
- Although it is an innovative shapeshifting brick, it is nothing special
- Some dragons appearance is quite awful
- Ionix has just a “couple” of sets
- Shapeshifting brick is clumsy
Not much more to say, if you have any questions or comments please write me in the comment section below and I would be glad to reply you.